Bernie Sanders’ list of current endorsements is a short one and notable for the paucity of support from elected officials. These endorsements (aka The Invisible Primary) are a traditional guage to judge the willingness of a political party to work with a candidate. These exist on both sides of the aisle, and the higher the endorsements, the more acceptable a candidate is to the party leadership and its ranks.
Perhaps the most noticeable and controversial of Sanders’ backers is Cornel West, a black academic and author, who is known for his denuciations of President Obama (see video below and here and here.)
West is also a longtime member of the Democratic Socialists of America, a socialist organization. Sanders is also listed as a “Prominent Member” of this group.
While Sanders often boasts that he receives no suport from political action committees, his claim is unfounded. National Nurses United qualifies as a PAC, and is actively engaged in promoting Sanders’ campaign.
Recently, this group came under attack for its tweet on a Q&A purportedly instructing its white supporters on how to talk to black women. (Below) The tweet was deleted after a firestorm of outrage for its racist content.
Below is a list of organzations and individuals who have endorsed Bernie Sanders:
- Democracy for America (DFA)
- Democratic Socialists of America (DSA)
- Rep. Keith Ellison
- Rep. Raul Grijalva
- The Nation
- Atlantic writer Ta-Nehisi Coates
- American Postal Workers Union
- Former Ohio state senator and minority whip Nina Turner
- Rapper Killer Mike
- H.A. Goodman
- Lucy Flores, NV Democratic congressional candidate and former Assemblywoman
- Ahora Latino Journal, El Reportero and Tú Revista
- Occupy Movement (Unofficially)
- PeoplesWorld.Org (Unofficially)
- Socialists (Individually)
- Willie Nelson
— Most Awesome One (@mostawesomeblog) January 15, 2016
This YouTube video of Cornel West was recorded June 2015 in an interview with CNN. In it, West calls President Obama the “first niggarized black President” who fears white supremacy.